.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tyler on CNN, and related thoughts

I'm so exhausted. Tyler came back for about 12 hours on his way from Germany and to ND, and we stayed up all night. We had to leave for the airport at 4:30am, so it seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I'm here at school at 6am and I will have to be here until 5pm. Ugh. I feel sorry for whoever my partner is for teeth cleaning today. [:)]

Sometimes I wonder what I've gotten myself into by marrying this man. It is so hard to put him on a plane knowing that I won't see him for over two months. It wouldn't be so bad if I could talk to him on the phone when I needed to, but cell phones don't work where he lives in ND (yeah.) and he's too busy running his research foundation to talk to me anyway. Last night I begged him to at least leave the dog with me, but when he finally said yes I couldn't take him, because he's just so attached to Tyler that it would be cruel. I hope that I am strong enough to stay with him when he leaves me alone so often. Right now I am so tired that I don't feel very strong at all.

He was on CNN yesterday (or rather, a dinosaur he found was):

(link deleted)

I was sitting in class surfing the internet (natch) and saw that article. He didn't even know it was going to be there. It was funny to randomly see my husband in the news, and eventually other people in the class (also reading the news) started turning around and catching my eye and pointing at the screen. He's like a (very) minor celebrity-- he's even on Wikipedia! At times like that I feel so proud of him and everything he does, even though it takes him away from me. And then I did a Google News search on his name and found this:

(link deleted)

If you don't feel like clicking, here's the part that made me cry in class:

(also deleted... sorry... but stuff comes up on google searches and I don't really want his colleagues reading my blog)

Now here I am crying again in the hospital cafeteria. (I'm much more susceptible to crying when I haven't gotten any sleep... didn't really think that all-nighter through, I guess...) It just was so strange to see that, which pretty much exactly describes why I love him, in some news article online. He is just a really good and generous man, and it really made me miss him. And even though it made me really proud of him, it also kind of made me wish, in a very small and selfish corner of my mind, that he'd quit doing what he does so that he could be that generous with me all year long.

Anyway. I better go see if the caf is open yet, because I desperately need caffeine so I don't get so emotional in clinic that I start crying into my classmates' mouths... what a nightmare...

Thanks for listening.

No comments: