.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

So I might be a little unprepared

And as proof, I submit for your consideration a conversation with my best friend and her fiance last night (the one who's wedding I posted about the other day... I told her!! She is actually excited!!):

Me: I just feel really overwhelmed... I mean, I don't even know what kind of stuff babies need. And I have to submit my loan application this week so I have no idea what to incorporate into our budget.

Her: Well, I can help make you a list... here, we'll write it down. Okay: stroller. Carseat. Snuggly.

Me: Oooh, I got one! Pins with ducks on them!!

(Pause while they both look at me like they are considering a preemptive call to child services) Her: Are you going to do cloth diapers?

Me: What?

Her: Okay... I was thinking things more like bibs and diapers, but we can put duck pins on the list.

Me (weakly): Right. (I just remembered those duck pins from when my little brother was born... I don't know...)

Her: You know you're going to have to train Franklin (our dog) to stay off the bed now, right?

Me: What? Don't babies sleep in cribs?

Her: Well, yes, but they're on the bed with you sometimes. And I bet Franklin would eat it. (This is true-- Franklin is so attached to Tyler that he growls at me sometimes if I try to pick him up out of Tyler's lap. He is really going to hate a baby.)

(Pause while I silently panic at the thought of Franklin chowing down on our baby) Her: Okay, just calm down. We don't have to talk about this now.

AAAAAAHHHH!!! I have no idea what to do with a child!! Honestly, it hadn't even crossed my mind-- all I've been thinking about is school and money and giving up our lifestyle, etc. I haven't even thought about the fact that I've never changed a diaper, ever. Where are you supposed to learn all this stuff?? My friend knows because she was ten when her little brother was born, but I was three, and I've never babysat any kids younger than three or four. Is there some kind of class you can take? Should I start Googling, like, yesterday??

Okay, I need to settle down. I am going for my run now to zone out. But if anyone has any advice on where to find all this info that apparently everyone knows but me, that would be pretty sweet. Also, Mandy thank you so much for the info on toxo-- I actually did know that from my infectious disease class, but my knowledge on this stuff is pretty hit or miss, so if anyone thinks of anything I should know, please don't hesitate to post it or message me, because with dental school I have very little time to do research on this.

No comments: