.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Cooking for "just me"

One good thing about my husband being gone for the summer is that I get to try out new recipes that I know he wouldn't like, and I get to eat random things for dinner that I'd never make for both of us. (I love the man... but he is not a very adventurous eater!)

Some of my faves: chicken with lime and avocado salsa, salmon-potato cakes, ceviche salad (seafood that is "cooked" by marinating in citrus juice, plus selected fruit served over salad), eggs scrambled with lox/sour cream/dill or sundried tomatoes/feta, broiled tomato halves topped with parmesan, bread crumbs, olive oil, and fresh basil; salade nicoise, quiches of all kinds, grilled cheese with tomatoes and ham, chicken souvlaki, salmon and sweet potato frittata... and on and on. (If you want any of these recipes, just ask!!)

Salmon potato cakes

Salmon potato cakes

Chicken souvlaki

Chicken souvlaki

I know that there are a lot of tomatoes in that list, but I laugh in the face of salmonella. I can't give up a single one of my veggies. Spinach is my worst addiction-- during that spinach scare last year, I went to the sketchiest grocery store I could find, bought a bag, and devoured it as usual. I am not really a fruit person, but veggies... can't live without 'em. And just in case you think all that sounds really healthy, I have been known to eat ice cream for dinner, and I never ever miss dessert!

No comments: