Sometimes I have these moments with Caroline that make me think about all the amazing little things about being a parent. I mean, there are the big things that totally change your life, of course, but I think it's those little moments that sneak up on you out of nowhere that are the sweetest... and I worry that I am going to forget about them because they don't come with as much fanfare as things like "firsts" and milestones. You know? They don't get written down in the baby book. (Which reminds me-- update the baby book, you slacker!)
I wanted to list these highlights, if only for myself down the road...
- Walking in to see Tyler carefully brushing her fuzzy newborn hair (after he once laughed at me for brushing it).
- Watching her sleep next to me in our bed as I doze off.
- Holding her up to a mirror-- she looks at herself, squeals, and hides her face in my chest as she hugs me.
- When the dog licks the front of her overalls, she laughs and laughs like it's the funniest thing she's ever seen.
- Picking her up to put her in the crib for a nap, when she sleepily lays her head on my shoulder.
- Bathtime extravaganzas... you know, putting every possible toy into the tub, getting in there with her, and splashing until the entire room is wet... and how happy it makes her.
- Listening to Tyler read her a book about dinosaurs-- complete with his commentary about how, for example, "dimetrodons aren't really dinosaurs, Caroline."
- Blowing on her belly while changing her and making her shriek with laughter.
- Seeing the expressions on her face when she tries a new food: shock, surprise, disgust, intrigue, and finally-- GIVE ME MORE!!
- Bringing her into our bed on weekend mornings and snuggling up as a cozy family of three.