.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My "I-will-never's"

The following is a list of the things that, while pregnant, I said I'd never do... that are shot to hell now that I have an actual baby.

1. I'll never give a pacifier.
2. I'll never give a bottle before breastfeeding is established. (To be fair, these first two happened in the NICU while I wasn't there and I was too intimidated and tired to protest when I realized that they'd given them to her.)
3. I'll never consider switching to formula (no, I'm not actually switching, but it's crossed my mind a time or two because as I posted before, breastfeeding is OH MY GOD REALLY HARD AND AWFUL).
4. I'll never let the baby sleep with us in the bed. (I didn't cave on this one because she won't sleep anywhere else... she will, but I just really want to snuggle her and see her cute face anytime I want.)
5. I'll never dress my kid in cutesy bows and ribbons if she is a girl (see: enormous bow on hat, several posts below).
6. I'll never make Tyler get up in the middle of the night to do a feeding, because I can stay home and sleep but he has to get up early and go to school. (Whoops. I am a terrible wife.)
7. I'll never whip my boob out in front of anyone but Tyler. (The ladies have already been out in front of everyone in two NICUs, the pediatrician's office, and the UPS guy the other day when I forgot to button my shirt before answering the door.)

I'm sure there are more, but I am a bit sleep-deprived and can't remember what else.

But you know what? I don't really care about any of that. First of all, my new mantra is "if it works and no one dies, it's probably okay", and second of all, I am too busy soaking up every minute of her being this tiny, because I already know she's going to grow up too fast.

10 comments:

PhinneyGirl said...

Julia, you are too funny! I laughed so hard at the one about forgetting to button your shirt in front of the UPS guy. Glad to hear things are going well.

Monica said...

That is a great picture! Go you! :)

the millers said...

i was a lurker on the nest blogs (i sound creepy - i promise i'm not!) and love your story. congratulations on your beautiful little girl!

Anonymous said...

AW! I love that picture! The two of you just look so happy and content and cosy....

Ashley T said...

What a cutie you have there... look at all that gorgeous hair! :)

edmo said...

I can't believe you had wanted to try this whole parenting thing pacifier-free! The first rule of mine that I broke was allowing Boston to watch TV before he turned 2.

Anonymous said...

I loved that post. You look great and she's absolutely precious!! Congrats again!

kelsey c. said...

she is beautiful!

Lyndsay said...

LMAO @ #7!!!

LyndsayQ from the Bump

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I could have written this myself! I totally relate to your list of things "I'd never do." Funny how our little ones change EVERYTHING :)

Besides...I've discovered that little girls look cute in bows :)